Are you looking for a quick and easy way to get protein into your diet without sacrificing taste? Waffles are usually considered a delicious, indulgent breakfast made from sugary waffle mix and artificial ingredients. Still, you can make them just as scrumptious using nutritious ingredients such as whey protein powder.
Protein-rich waffles make the perfect post-workout snack or an anytime meal that will give you the energy boost needed to power through your day without weighing you down like other heavier meals. Plus, no one likes compromising on flavor when trying to stick to their health goals! This simple protein waffle recipe offers all of those benefits with minimal effort—don't miss it!
Related: Educational Resources and More
Protein Waffle Batter Ingredients
- 2 whole large eggs – Eggs are the glue of this recipe. They help the waffle stick and combine the ingredients together. Extra Protein!
- ½ cup of plain whole milk Greek yogurt – removes the place of the liquid and oil you'd typically find in a traditional boxed waffle. Plus, it adds an extra dash of protein to these waffles. Don't consume dairy? No worries, you can substitute for a dairy-free yogurt.
- 2 Tablespoons of Non-dairy Milk or Milk of Your Choice – I used unsweetened almond milk but any non-dairy milk works!
- ½ Tablespoon of Maple Syrup – We love natural ingredients! Make sure you are using 100% pure real maple syrup and not artificial syrup, which is filled with corn syrup and artificial sweeteners. Agave, honey, or any sugar-free liquid sweetener would also work as a substitute.
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract – Adds a rich, velvety vanilla taste.
- 1 scoop (25 grams) of Vanilla Protein Powder – We recommend whey or plant-based protein powder.
- ¾ cup of Whole Rolled Oats – Rolled oats will replace flour in this recipe for a healthier breakfast. Blending these oats in a blender or food processor makes the texture identical to baking flour.
- ½ teaspoon of Baking powder and Baking soda – these ingredients help the waffles rise and fluff up.
- ½ teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon Spice– the perfect spice to even out the flavors
- ½ teaspoon of Sea salt or Himalayan Salt – brings all of the flavors together.
- Cooking Spray – We recommend using coconut oil, avocado oil, or olive oil spray to coat the waffle iron before baking.
Cooking and Preparation Instructions
Enjoy your protein-packed waffle in just 4 easy steps! You'll never want to ditch these mouth-watering, healthy waffles.
- In a high-powered blender, combine all ingredients and mix until you reach a smooth consistency.
- We prefer that you use coconut oil cooking spray. Preheat your waffle iron to medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Pour a little less than a half cup of the mixture into the waffle iron, shut the lid, and cook for three to four minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the waffle off the iron, serve, and dig in!
Best Ways to Serve and Enjoy
It isn't a waffle if you don't garnish it with unlimited toppings and maple syrup!
Optional Fruit Toppings:
- Strawberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, and Raspberries
Optional Sauces and Dry Toppings:
- Berry compote or preserve
- Sugar-free Caramel Sauce
- Dark Chocolate Sauce
- Milk Chocolate Sauce
- White Chocolate Sauce
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- Chopped Protein Bars
- White Chocolate Chips
- Dried Strawberries
- Dried Bananas
- Ground Cinnamon Spice
- Matcha Powder
- Powdered Sugar
- Honey Granola
- Cashews, Pistachios, Pecans, Almonds, Peanuts, and Walnuts
- Peanut Butter, Cashew Butter, and Almond Butter
- Sugar-Free Whipped Cream or Coconut Whipped Cream
- Toasted Raw Coconut Shreds
- Maple Syrup or Agave Syrup
Waffle Batter Base Flavors:
- Strawberry Waffle: Strawberry Whey Protein Powder or Plant-based and add dried strawberries to the batter.
- Chocolate Waffle: Chocolate Whey Protein Powder or Plant-based.
- Salted Caramel Waffle: Salted Caramel Whey Protein Powder or Plant-based, topped with caramel sauce.
- Cookies and Cream Waffle: Cookies and Cream Whey Protein Powder or Plant-based.
- Coffee Waffle: Vanilla Whey Protein Powder or Plant-based with instant ground coffee.
- Green Tea Waffle: Matcha Whey Protein Powder or Plant-based
- Vanilla and Chocolate Chip Waffle: Vanilla Whey Protein Powder or Plant-based, add dark chocolate chips to the batter.
- Pumpkin Spice Waffle: Vanilla Whey Protein Powder or Plant-based. Add ground pumpkin spice to the batter.
How to Store and Reheat
Why waste these protein waffles when you can easily store them for months in the freezer? Perfect for if you are in a hurry in the morning or feeling lazy, you can easily toss one in the toaster and enjoy.
Put the waffles in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag and stack them with parchment paper or tin foil to avoid sticking. These waffles can be frozen for up to three months for the best quality and freshness.
We recommend that you take the waffles directly from the refrigerator or freezer into a toaster or toaster oven so they warm and get somewhat crispy, but you can also microwave them for approximately 60 seconds. Air fryers are a great way to reheat your waffles as well.
Are you interested in more fitness and health-curated recipes? Here at HUMBLEROOTS, we have the perfect handpicked recipes made just for you!
Waffles are a delicious and easy way to increase your protein intake - perfect for bodybuilders who need to fuel their muscles post-workout. With so many different flavors to choose from, there's sure to be a combination that you love.
What are you waiting for? Get cooking! This breakfast will change your gains. This recipe is simple, versatile, and, most importantly, packed with the nutrients your body needs to recover and grow stronger. And there are endless flavor possibilities, so you'll never get bored!