Are you looking for an easy and healthy way to satisfy your sweet tooth? If so, look no further than this 3 ingredient protein mug cake, which is ready to eat in just minutes! This microwavable treat is perfect for anyone trying to lose weight or looking for a nutritious but tasty snack.
It requires minimal prep time, and the ingredients are easily found at any grocery store, meaning you can whip up this delicious dessert without breaking the bank. Nothing is more perfect than a quick dessert you don't have to wait on. In addition, this guilt-free recipe will satisfy even the pickiest foodies with its rich taste and fluffy texture.
This mouthwatering treat can provide you with the perfect solution when time is of the essence. We will discuss not only why this recipe should be yours. Read on to find out what goes into making this delicious snack that comes together in a snap!
Related: Educational Resources and More
- 1 large ripe banana, peeled and mashed, is preferred for the correct texture
- 1 large egg, or if you are vegan, you can substitute for a flax egg. We'll add a large egg to our protein mug cake to give it a little richness and a boost. Before incorporating it into this healthy cake recipe, your egg should be at room temperature.
- 1 scoop of whey protein powder (Plant-based for a vegan option, add whatever flavor suits you). Use your preferred brand and taste of protein powder in this recipe. Since it's the primary component in this simple protein mug cake, choosing a protein powder with a flavor you appreciate is essential!
Optional Ingredients and Add-ins
We have many tasty alternatives if you get bored with the same flavors. Remember, you are never limited to just one! These 3 ingredient protein mug cakes make a perfect dessert after dinner or a workout. You may add a little amount of sweetener to taste. However, it is optional.
Tasty Add-ins for Cake Batter:
- 2 tablespoons of dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons of semisweet or white chocolate chips
- fresh or freeze-dried berries
- peanut butter
- Change the taste using vanilla, caramel, strawberry, cinnamon-flavored, or cookies and cream protein powder!
- White sugar, maple syrup, coconut sugar, agave syrup, honey, or any calorie-free sweetener.
How to Prepare Protein Mug Cake
- Beat 1 large egg until it forms a liquid consistency.
- Mash or puree the banana until there are no remaining lumps.
- Add one scoop of the protein powder of your choice into the mug or baking dish.
- Combine all three ingredients in a cup.
- Microwave for 1 minute or until the desired amount of fluffiness is reached.
Baking Time Instruction:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until desired texture.
If you are unsure if the protein cake is finished baking, try using a toothpick to check for its desired consistency.
Toppings, Galore, and More!
For the fun part, to top off this delicious dessert, throw in some tasty toppings for an extra kick. Who doesn't like unlimited toppings? The limit is endless, so feel free to gorge on these healthy extras. Here is a list of the best toppings we recommend:
- Semisweet chocolate or dark chocolate sauce (Great for a drizzle on top!)
- Low-sugar caramel sauce
- White chocolate chips
- Homemade berry jam or preserves
- Raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, goji berries
- Mango chunks
- Pineapple bits
- Pomegranate seeds (Pairs great with dark chocolate!)
- Nuts, such as pistachios, almonds, peanuts, walnuts, pecans, and cashews
- Nut butter, such as peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter
- Matcha powder
- Sugar-free whipped cream
- Keto vanilla ice cream (Great low-calorie alternative!)
- Shredded toasted coconut flakes
- Cinnamon or Cocoa powder
- Chia pudding
Suggestions and Tips
Ensure your mug is big enough to prevent batter overflow while the cake cooks. If using vegan protein powder, add enough almond milk to create a pudding-like consistency in the batter. If you prefer a larger dish to cook the dessert in, we suggest you use a baking dish for brownies.
If you plan on using vegan protein powder, only use a small amount of almond milk or your preferred non-dairy beverage. If you want to bake the protein cake in the oven, make sure to add half a teaspoon of baking powder. To create a thinner consistency of the batter, you may add half a tablespoon of water, milk, or any other plant-based milk.
Sit back and relax from that post-workout with this easy-to-make dessert. Don't wait. Dig in!
Suggested Protein Powders for Baking:
Whey is fast-digesting, which is why it is an excellent post-workout drink; whey protein is the byproduct of milk when cheese or yogurt is formed.
Whey Protein Concentrate:
This is the most often-seen form of whey protein. A concentrate indicates that 80 percent of the product is protein.
Whey Protein Isolate:
Isolate is a "stronger" protein powder that must include at least 90% protein. It will be practically carb-fat-free but may consist of minor quantities.
Casein is the other byproduct of milk, in contrast to whey, and is the primary protein in milk.
Egg protein is a common alternative for anybody who can't tolerate dairy very well. Egg protein consists of egg whites in powdered form.
There are a plethora of plant-based protein powders on the market. Pea protein and brown rice protein are the two most popular forms.
Are you interested in other fitness-curated recipes and products? Here at HUMBLEROOTS, we have just the right health guide for you!
So, there you have it! A super easy and guilt-free way to enjoy a delicious dessert that's high in protein and ready in just minutes. What more could you ask for? What are you waiting for? You can have a delicious and nutritious snack or dessert in less than two minutes.
With this recipe, there's no excuse not to indulge in a bit of self-care. Why not give this mug cake recipe a try tonight and see for yourself how awesome it is? You may just be surprised at how much you love it!