Do you crave something sweetly delicious and nutritious at the same time? If so, then this high-protein ice cream recipe is definitely for you! Whether you are looking to bulk up or just want a healthier way to indulge in some incredible flavors, our no-churn ice cream will help you satisfy both desires with ease.
Our combination of healthy ingredients will give your body the fuel it needs while satisfying your taste buds with a fantastic experience. Even those with limited culinary skills can whip something up in no time. Plus, this recipe contains all-natural ingredients - so you can rest assured that there won't be any artificial flavors or additives lurking in your dessert.
So forget about store-bought ice creams loaded with sugar and harmful preservatives! With just a few simple steps, homemade ice cream can become a reality in your kitchen - without any expensive equipment or complicated techniques. Keep reading to discover how easy it is to make this powerhouse dessert that packs plenty of flavor and wholesome goodness into every scoop!
Related: Educational Resources and More
Ice Cream Ingredients
These ingredients are so simple you won't want to buy store-bought ice cream anymore. If you are vegan or looking for a non-dairy alternative, these ingredients can all be substituted for a plant-based and non-dairy recipe. The best part is you don't have to sacrifice the protein!
- Full-Fat Coconut Milk — Provides the protein ice cream with a velvety, rather than frosty, texture. Additionally, a greater fat level makes the ice cream more scoopable, a characteristic many handmade ice creams lack! We recommend that the canned coconut milk be refrigerated beforehand.
- Protein Powder — We can't forget the most important ingredient in this recipe! We recommend using vanilla whey protein powder, but you may substitute it for a plant-based protein powder alternative.
- Granulated Sweetener of Choice or Syrup - To add sweetness, you may use either granulated sweetener (preferably brown sugar), honey, agave syrup, or maple syrup. These are the best options if you want to add less sugar to your diet.
- Vanilla Extract - This ingredient is optional, but if you prefer a rich vanilla flavor to your ice cream, it will top it off for you.
Instructions and Preparation
- Before making your ice cream, place a loaf pan in the freezer for at least an hour to ensure it is chilled correctly.
- To begin, pour your cooled full-fat coconut milk into the blender and process for one to two minutes or until it is the texture of your choice. The recommended texture should be velvety and smooth. Chilling it beforehand ensures that the cream separates from the liquid. The whole can will be utilized entirely.
- Blend the protein powder, sugar, or syrup of your choice until it reaches a creamy and smooth consistency.
- Set the bread in a loaf pan and place it in the freezer. Stir the ice cream every 20 minutes during the first hour, for a total of three times. Allow the ice cream to freeze thoroughly.
- Remove the protein ice cream from the freezer and allow it to thaw for 10 to 15 minutes. Place in bowls and dig in!
Optional Toppings and More
Who doesn't love some tasty toppings to give their ice cream an extra kick? Here are the best healthy toppings we recommend for your protein ice cream!
- Strawberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, and Raspberries
- Berry compote or preserve
- Sugar-free Caramel Sauce
- Dark Chocolate Sauce
- Milk Chocolate Sauce
- White Chocolate Sauce
- Condensed Milk
Other Optional Toppings:
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- Chopped Protein Bars
- White Chocolate Chips
- Dried Strawberries
- Dried Bananas or Plantains
- Ground Cinnamon Spice
- Matcha Powder
- Cashews, Pistachios, Pecans, Almonds, Peanuts, and Walnuts
- Peanut Butter, Cashew Butter, and Almond Butter
- Sugar-Free Whipped Cream
Ice Cream Flavor Ideas
- Strawberry Ice cream - Strawberry Whey Protein Powder or Plant-based
- Chocolate Ice Cream- Chocolate Whey Protein Powder or Plant-based
- Salted Caramel Ice Cream - Salted Caramel Whey Protein Powder or Plant-based
- Horchata Ice Cream - Vanilla Whey Protein Powder or Plant-based with ground cinnamon spice
- Cookies and Cream Ice Cream - Cookies and Cream Whey Protein Powder or Plant-based
- Rocky Road Ice Cream - Chocolate Whey Protein Powder or Plant-based with almonds and sugar-free marshmallows
- Coffee Ice Cream - Vanilla Whey Protein Powder or Plant-based with instant ground coffee
- Green Tea Ice Cream - Matcha Whey Protein Powder or Plant-based
Proper Ways to Store and Refreeze
Instructions on How To Store:
Always keep protein ice cream in the freezer, a freezer-safe container, or a loaf pan that has been covered. The ice cream may be frozen for a minimum of five days.
Instructions on How To Refreeze:
Refreezing the ice cream is not well suggested since it will accumulate ice crystals and have a crunchy consistency. If it has been refrozen and is no longer creamy, allow it to soften, combine, and remix. It will turn into a soft-serve texture. This delicious high-protein ice cream should stay fresh for up to 1 month, but it is best served up to 7 days from preparation.
Interested in more fitness and health-curated recipes? Here at HUMBLEROOTS, we have the perfect handpicked recipes made just for you!
Now that you know how easy it is to make your own high-protein-packed ice cream at home, what flavors will you be trying out first? This no-churn recipe is simple, delicious, and much healthier than store-bought alternatives.
This high-protein ice cream recipe is perfect for anyone who loves ice cream but wants to be healthier. It is also great for athletes or bodybuilders who need to increase their protein intake.