Are you looking for an easy and delicious way to start your day off right? A high-protein breakfast burrito is the perfect answer! Whether you're trying to lose weight, build lean muscle, or just fuel up with some quality nutrition in the morning, this tasty wrap ticks all of the boxes. This high-protein breakfast burrito recipe will become your go-to meal-prepping option. It's easy to make and full of flavor, so it'll be sure to satisfy everyone at the table!
Not only is it packed full of protein, but its versatility means that no two burritos need be alike. You can mix and match ingredients according to what's available or use whatever flavors appeal most each morning, so no meal ever gets boring. And if you have leftovers - not a problem! This breakfast burrito recipe does great in the freezer for several weeks. So come on and check out how simple and yummy this filling dish can be!
Related: Educational Resources and More
Breakfast Burrito Ingredients
- 8 large eggs (or however many you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 medium red pepper or jalapeño pepper finely minced
- 1/2 medium red or white onion finely minced
- 4 pieces of thick-cut bacon cooked until crispy
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Flatbread or corn tortillas (try whole-wheat tortillas for extra protein)
- Cheddar or Mexican four-cheese blend
- Splash of milk
- First, mix eight eggs with a splash of milk in a large bowl. Set Aside.
- Add olive oil or butter and garlic. It should be heated over medium/high heat in a medium pan. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add red pepper, jalapeños, and onion to the pan and sauté for several minutes or until the onions become translucent.
- Then, add eggs and simmer for three to five minutes or until done. Add salt, pepper, or any other spices you desire. (add in cheese if you prefer it melted into the eggs)
- In a separate pan, cook your bacon slices and chopped chorizo bits and cook under high heat until the meat is fully cooked. (To save time, use an air fryer. Great for crispy bacon!)
- Once thoroughly cooked, place a quarter of the scrambled egg mixture into your tortilla wrap of choice. Add in your chorizo, bacon, and shredded cheese, and wrap the burrito securely.
Are you interested in other fitness-curated recipes and products? Here at HUMBLEROOTS, we have a plethora of health guides for you!
Optional Add-ins and Ingredients
A little extra protein can't hurt. To ensure those after-gym gains don't waste away, try adding a few more ingredients to your protein-packed breakfast burrito. If this breakfast burrito stands out as a bit bland to you, no worries; here are some excellent add-ins that will elevate your burrito game!
Avocados and Guac:
Avocados are a great way to infiltrate extra protein and healthy fats into your fitness diet.
Slice 1 medium avocado and put it into your breakfast burrito. (3 grams of protein per 1 avocado)
Make some guacamole! Who doesn't love a good guac on top of their burrito? Chop up red onion, garlic, jalapeños, and tomatoes, and throw them into a small bowl with your avocado.
Mash until it forms a creamy consistency. Top it off with a dash of lime juice, and enjoy a dollop of guac on your burrito!
Beans are a great option if you need to stack more protein into your diet. They add a few extra grams of protein and fiber, whether it is pinto beans, black beans, or refried beans.
We prefer to sauté them in a pan with garlic and chopped red onions in olive oil for a rich flavor. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
Perfect to add to your warm burrito, and it pairs perfectly with your melted cheese and egg. Pinto beans weigh about 2.6 grams of protein, and black beans weigh 8 grams of protein for half a cup.
Although sour cream may not be too high in protein, it still adds extra flavor to your breakfast burrito. One tablespoon contains around 0.2 grams of protein.
If you are not a fan of bacon, swap it out for some sausage links. Sausage is an excellent protein source, containing about 8 grams of protein per 2 pieces.
Who doesn’t love a good potato? Adding potatoes will only make this breakfast burrito even tastier. Sauté some chopped potatoes in a skillet with cooking oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Adding these to your burrito could potentially add in an extra 4.6 grams of protein.
How to Freeze
Of course, you want this delicious breakfast burrito to be well-spent. We recommend freezing this burrito as a handy quick breakfast that you can easily toss in the microwave or air fryer.
- Slice burritos into halves and place them into a glass container or plastic tupperware, preferably with a lid. Place into the freezer to maintain freshness and quality.
- These frozen homemade burritos are good for up to 6 months in the freezer, but we recommend 3 months for quality purposes.
This recipe is for you if you want a high-protein breakfast that you can prepare in advance and grab on the go. This burrito is easy to make, freezes well, and can even double as a post-workout snack. What more could you ask for? This recipe is a super simple and high-protein-packed breakfast burrito that you can make without sacrificing too much time.
This recipe is perfect if you're looking for a quick and healthy breakfast option that will keep you full throughout the morning. Start today, and level up your breakfast game! Give it a try, and let us know what you think.